Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Young Frankenstein (2010) - Toronto

What a fun time Young Frankenstein was to watch. It had humour, it had a great cast and it a wonderful set. Sure the plot was stale and the same as the movie, but I wasn't expecting it to be any different. In fact, I probably would have been disappointed if it had been changed. The actors were very natural in their roles and nothing seemed forced. Roger Bart had great comedic timing and the two female leads sung beautifully. The lighting was artfully orchestrated with highlights of blue and greens and a subtly of darkness (it is Transylvania after all). Even in the dressing circle I good see every detail. The only thing that disappointed me was the similarities between this production and that of Spamalot. The humour was similar and the characters reminded me of each other, especially the diva. It wasn't a stretch or anything original, it was ment to be tongue in cheek in spots and laugh out loud in others. I just would have liked to see something more from Mel Brooks. I think that he could have stepped it up a litte.

No comments:

Post a Comment